The benefits of medium chain triglycerides include quick absorption and increased CBD bioavailability
What Is MCT?
MCT, which stands for medium-chain triglyceride, is a group of saturated fats primarily derived from all-natural ingredients including coconut oil and palm oil. MCT oil is a supplement that contains these fats. It’s extracted and isolated during a process called fractionation. MCT oil is odorless, tasteless, and is safe to consume and to apply to the skin.
Triglycerides are named for their chemical structure, specifically the length of their fatty-acid chains. Most fats in the human diet are long-chain fatty acids, with anywhere from 13 to 21 carbon atoms. Short-chain fatty acids contain six or fewer carbon atoms. The medium-chain fatty acids in MCTs have six to 12 carbon atoms and include four kinds of acids: caproic acid (C6), caprylic acid (C8), capric acid (C10), and lauric acid (C12).
Medium-chain triglycerides are metabolized differently because of their shorter chain length. They’re broken down faster and are absorbed by the body more rapidly, quickly being converted into a source of energy. Because of this, they’re also less likely to be stored as fat. Thanks to this quality, MCT oil provides several health benefits.
Why Do We Use MCT Oil in our CBD Tinctures?
We chose fractionated coconut oil as our MCT carrier oil because it mixes well with other ingredients, has no taste or smell, and can safely be consumed and used externally. When you ingest CBD oil along with MCT oil, the MCT oil increases the bioavailability of CBD by allowing it to largely avoid the first-pass metabolism process and directly hit the bloodstream.
Because of this, a greater concentration of CBD can be absorbed into the bloodstream, and you can reap the benefits more efficiently and quickly. Also, coconut oil is made up of about 42% lauric acid, making it one of the best natural sources of this fatty acid.
A Selection Based on Science
Our CBD lab team has dedicated some serious R&D to developing the highest-quality CBD tinctures. While CBD isolate is the main active ingredient, we carefully consider every ingredient that goes into our products, including our decision to use MCT oil, which has an array of benefits in its own right, including:
- Promoting weight loss. MCT oil may support weight loss by breaking down faster, becoming an instant energy source — but not being stored as fat. It’s also known to increase a sense of fullness by releasing certain hormones, and to improve gut environment by encouraging the growth of good bacteria.
- Reducing lactate buildup. MCT oil can increase fat burning, reducing the need for carbs. It has gained popularity among athletes and people who like to exercise because, one study found, that taking MCT oil before exercise may help use more fat instead of carbs for energy. The same study found that MCTs can help reduce lactate buildup caused by exercise.
- Fighting bacteria. The fatty acids in MCT oil, lauric acid in particular, provide it with antimicrobial and antifungal properties, helping reduce the growth of yeast and bacteria.
Organic Sunflower Oil Adds to Wellness Benefits
Along with MCT oil, our CBD tinctures include another oil that adds to their wellness benefits: Sunflower oil. Our CBD tinctures also include organic sunflower oil, which is blended with our all-natural flavorings. Sunflower oil makes its own contribution to our CBD drops, because it is:
- Light, non-greasy, and is easy to digest and absorb in your digestive tract.
- Contains more vitamin E than any other vegetable oil, a powerful antioxidant important to the body’s immune function. In fact, just one tablespoon of sunflower oil delivers 37% of the recommended daily intake for vitamin E.
- Rich in vitamin A, an antioxidant like vitamin E.
- Low in saturated fats and rich in unsaturated fats.
- Contains more than 80% monounsaturated fat, which makes it good for your heart.
To Know What’s in Our CBD Oils Is to Love Them
At Crescent Canna, we pride ourselves on developing the highest quality CBD tinctures you’ll find anywhere. The attention we give to every ingredient selected for our recipes is only possible because of our small-batch manufacturing process and the decade of production experience our team draws on. Through our extensive research and development, we trust that the additions of MCT and sunflower oils help enhance the effectiveness of our CBD Drops. Learn more about the Crescent Canna difference and our strict quality-control processes.